08 January 2012

Dreadlocks in Ecuador

This will be the final "Dreadlocks in..." post for a while. The Peace Corps feels that in Ecuador, dreadlocks are very strongly associated with illegal drug use and therefore does not allow volunteers to have dreadlocks. Those of you who have read my post about what my dreadlocks mean to me will understand how much of a sacrifice this is for me. Please pray for me as I adjust to life without this way of expressing who I am.

Click "Read more" below to see all the pictures.



Update - July 2012
 I've been without dreadlocks for almost six months now, and I definitely still miss them. But after spending three months in the Amazon jungle, I am convinced I made the right decision about cutting my hair, simply because of the climate. I have to iron my underwear, socks, and bathing towel to help cut down on mildew, even though I wash them as well as I can as often as I can. I don't think it would be possible to keep dreadlocks clean living here. However, I think that the cultural concerns would have been surmountable - that people would have gotten to know me and be able to look past my hair.

8 comments:

  1. Hey - I have that shirt! Sorry to see them go though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, it took me a moment to figure out which shirt you were talking about. It's my most comfortable shirt, but unfortunately is just about worn through...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't seen that forehead in years I love it. Sorry you had to put the locks out to pasture.
    -Ransom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I was wondering if the no-locks in Ecuador thing is negotiable at all, or if it's just a hard and fast rule? I'm nominated to serve with PC in Central/South America in early 2013 and I've had my locks for almost 2 years. I haven't had them for that long, but I'd still rather not have to get rid of them. Of course, I can't say I wouldn't do it if it came down to it. Do you know of any other countries/any other volunteers with locks that served as PCVs? I have heard of one other case of a volunteer cutting off their locks, but I haven't heard of any other cases of volunteers serving with locks, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First - congrats on your nomination! Good luck with all the PC red tape that awaits you. If you press through it, it's worth it. :)

      Officially the rule is hard and fast in Ecuador. The staging materials I got said specifically that volunteers should not arrive with dreadlocks. However, there is a volunteer from my training group with dreadlocks and the Ecuador country director said he loves them.

      However, I am very glad that I cut my dreads, simply because of climate. In the Ecuadorian jungle things don't dry. I don't think it would be possible to have dreads where I live unless they were VERY thin.

      Let us know where you end up!
      Isaac

      Delete
  5. Yea, I'm looking forward to swimming in red tape. :) Thanks for the feedback! It's really hard to research something like this since it's such a specific situation. It's good to know that at least one person kind of got by the rule, haha. I guess I'm really being hard-headed more than anything! My dreads are fairly medium/thin (I've got around 130 if that means anything to you) so I'm not too worried about whether they'll be able to dry. Of course, if they bother me, I'll chop them off, no problem! I've never rocked the short fro before, so that'd just be something else new for me. I'll let you know how things turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi!this is a work made by you isn't it? https://www.facebook.com/fgrrrhhn/photos/a.669491309727830.1073741826.669488729728088/669491343061160/?type=3&theater
    this "dreadmaker" in italy is promoting is activity stealing photos from all over the world..unfair and not honest at all.. -_-

    ReplyDelete