23 October 2011

Dreadlocks in Cambodia

Is it hard to have dreadlocks in Cambodia? How do people in Cambodia view dreadlocks? Should I cut my dreadlocks before I travel to Cambodia? Read on to hear about my experiences.

Isaac and Kirstie eating snacks compliments of Bangkok Airways.
(C) Isaac and Kirstie Bickford

I spent about two weeks in Cambodia, in a mix of rural and urban environments.

In Phnom Penh, my hair did get some stares, but nothing that was too uncomfortable or disapproving. I think that people in Phnom Penh are very familiar with foreigners, and many of them have seen dreadlocks before. I did not see anyone besides myself with dreadlocks in Cambodia.

Isaac drinking a coconut in Phnom Penh.
(C) Isaac and Kirstie Bickford

In Mondulkiri Province, I visited some small Bunong communities and I was probably the first person with dreadlocks most of these people had seen. After attending a church service in a town about 10 km outside of the city of Mondulkiri, about twenty women and children gathered around me to look at my hair and ask questions about it. The questions were much the same to what I've gotten from curious people everywhere - "Is your hair real?" "How do you wash it?" "Did you need help to get your hair like that?" etc... Although it was a little uncomfortable having so much attention obviously directed at me, I didn't feel that any of it was negative, fearful, or hostile.

In another Bunong village about an hour away from Mondulkiri city, I got similar questions again. Additionally, one of the ladies that I was talking with said that her youngest son was afraid to come over to us because of my hair. It's very possible that for a village where everyone has lice, people were wondering what kinds of things I had hiding in my hair. I could have told them that I haven't ever found any bugs in my hair, but who knows if they would have believed me.

Bottom line - If you are planning a short visit to Cambodia, you probably don't need to worry too much about having dreadlocks, especially if you will mainly be in cities. However, think hard about either changing your hair or changing your plans if you are going to visit minority villages, or if you are going to live in Cambodia, both for cultural and for health reasons.. If you are going to live in Cambodia, you will have a hard time getting your dreads dry before they mold. Also, it is very common for people working in minority villages to get lice. It'll be much easier to deal with the lice if you don't have dreadlocks.

If you have dreadlocks (or traveled with someone who does) and would like to share your experiences with Dreadlocks in Cambodia, feel free to post a comment!

6 comments:

  1. I live in Phnom Penh and recently got dreads. My Khmer friends have responded very positively, saying they suit me and are interested and non-judgemental. I find they dry quite quickly here, the heat makes up for the humidity. But my dreads are thinner than yours.
    One of my barang friends here also has dreads, her experience is the same. Much eaiser than in her native England!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tashi,

      Thanks so much for your input. I'm glad the dreads are working out for you and your friend!

      Isaac

      Delete
    2. Tashi, I'm looking at getting dreads, where did you get yours done?

      Delete
  2. I also live in Phnom Penh with long dreads and have had no problems at all. I think I got more stares in Australia than here. I work professionally here and have never had a problem on that side of the equation either. I really don't think the Cambodians care...curious perhaps, but care no.

    Only problem I got is finding a place to get them tidy...hence why I found this page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just came across your blog, but just wanted to comment as a Cambodian female with one dreadlock. Dreadlocks are actually considered sacred in Cambodia, for those that are more familiar with our ancient and religious roots, they'll tell you that many actually revere dreadlocks - some people will even offer to buy locks from you. The origins of this belief go back to India and Hinduism, where dreadlocks are considered tied to the spiritual world. I've been told that dreadlocks, in Cambodian belief, are believed to house demons or spirits meant to protect you.

    I don't have my entire hair done just because I choose not to. But I do keep one dreadlock and have had it for a very long time. My parents don't particularly like it, especially my mom, because I am a female and shouldn't have hair like that. But because I am deeply spiritual, I choose to have it and believe very much in its protective qualities. I live here in the states, so some people think its strange, others think its cool. I've gone to Cambodia and have had people comment on it as well. Most of them think its really cool and respect me for having it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What part of America you from? Im Cambodian myself and from Philadelphia. I agree with your post. Dreadlock in Cambodian are sacred. I was planning on getting my hair dreadlock like our Khmer ancestor but dont want black people think i want to be Black or anything.

    ReplyDelete